The vision for the Hills Showground Station Precinct is a thriving local mixed-use centre; a walkable, lively place with strong connections to world class transport and cultural and recreational activities at the Castle Hill Showground. There will be diverse housing for people with different lifestyles, and green open spaces that encourage people to connect with the views over Cattai Creek and the wider Garden Shire. There will be three precincts at Hills Showground Station Precinct:
- Doran Drive Precinct (closest to station), will be the first to be developed and will include new homes, a plaza, commercial, retail and community uses.
- Hills Showground Precinct East (closest to Showground Road) is the largest precinct and will include a new residential village with open space.
- Hills Showground Precinct West (next to the Station Car Park) will include new homes and commercial and retail space.
A State Significant Development Application (SSDA) for an initial concept proposal for the precinct was submitted to the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment in November 2019.
The concept proposal was on public exhibition between November and December 2019. We then undertook further studies and consulted with stakeholders to respond to the issues raised and prepare a detailed Response to Submissions package, which included an updated concept proposal. This package was submitted to the Department and the concept SSDA was approved in January 2020.
The concept was approved as part of the Department's Horizon program which accelerates the assessment of major projects that keep the economy moving, create jobs and deliver public benefit.
The approved concept proposal
The approved concept includes:
- a maximum of 1,620 homes including a minimum of 5% Affordable Housing for very low, low and middle income earners for example teachers, nurses and retail workers
- housing for people with different lifestyles, including one, two and three bedroom homes
- a maximum of 14,000m² for retail, commercial and community uses, including a new supermarket
- green open spaces that encourage people to connect with the views over Cattai Creek and the wider Garden Shire
- improved connections and access to new open space, including a village plaza and neighbourhood park and the Castle Hill Showground.
We have appointed Deicorp to deliver the Doran Drive Precinct. Find out more about the Doran Drive Precinct.
In the future, we will select development partners for Hills Showground Precinct East and Hills Showground Precinct West.
Stakeholder and community consultation
Consultation helped shape the concept proposal
In 2019 we consulted the community to get feedback on our draft concept proposal for Hills Showground. The community could provide further feedback during public exhibition of the concept proposal.
Twenty-seven submissions were received during the exhibition; 12 from government authorities and 15 from the public or organisations. Key issues raised in the submissions included:
- concern about the building height and scale of buildings
- ensuring buildings showcase design excellence
- concern about traffic impacts and parking provision
- improving the relationship between the concept proposal and Hills Shire Council’s Castle Hill Showground masterplan
- clarification about compliance with minimum lot size and set back planning controls
- infrastructure provision and the capacity of utility services to support new development.
In response to feedback, we made the following changes to the concept proposal:
- reduced overall density, bulk and scale (in particular in Precinct East) with less residential space (from 1,900 homes to 1,620 homes)
- increased retail and commercial space
- improved connection to public space and reduced bulk and scale of buildings in the Doran Drive Precinct with increased maximum building storeys from 20 to 21 storeys which still complies with the permissible 68 metre height limit
- increased building setbacks and a three metre outdoor dining setback in the Doran Drive Precinct and Precinct West to improve the links to public areas
- fewer one bedroom homes (from 35% to 25% of the housing mix) and more three bedrooms homes (from 10% to 20%) to improve housing diversity
- better integrating the Castle Hill Showground masterplan with the concept proposal
- strengthening the Urban Design Guidelines, to guide future development applications in design excellence.
The concept proposal was approved by the Minister for Planning and Public Spaces in January 2020.
The community will have more opportunities to comment on future development proposals when our development partners submit detailed designs for each precinct. These applications will comply with the approved concept proposal.
At a glance
Concept SSDA approved. Delivery timing subject to detailed design approvals
Land use zonings
Local Centre (B2) and General Residential (R1)
Meeting the needs of different people at different life stages
A maximum of 1,620 homes, including a minimum 5% dedicated to Affordable Housing
A new plaza, neighbourhood park, commercial, retail and community uses.